We are looking for a senior associate or counsel to join our woman-owned, white-collar defense/civil litigation boutique firm in Washington, DC.
Instead of rattling off the typical list of qualifications (6+ years of commercial/civil litigation or investigation experience, strong writing skills, and so on), we want to tell you directly about the unique qualities we are looking for in a candidate. Yes, we are looking for a great lawyer to join our firm. Being an excellent lawyer is just the starting point; we are looking for a lot more than that. It takes a special skillset to succeed in a small firm.
- You value the impact your work will have on our clients’ lives and bring a genuine passion to representing clients day in and day out.
- You dig deep into the facts and the law to come up with creative solutions. You do not give up even when facing what seems to be an insurmountable problem.
- You have the confidence to run your own matters and the willingness to handle all types of work—from reviewing client documents to drafting discovery to handling court hearings.
- You are organized and reliable. Our clients will depend on you to return phone calls and emails promptly and to meet every deadline.
- You enjoy talking about your cases with other lawyers to collaborate on the best solution for the client.
- You are patient, compassionate, and not judgmental with clients who find themselves in stressful situations and work to gain their trust from the start of a case.
- You never stop improving your writing skills and have a genuine curiosity about legal issues.
- You are an active participant in the legal community through bar associations, networking groups, or similar organizations.
- You are successful in developing business already or have a strong desire to learn how to develop business, understanding that this takes a lot of nonbillable time along the way.
- You can maintain a sense of humor and perspective in an often-stressful profession.
Working in a small firm like ours is not for everyone. Unlike a big firm practice, you will be juggling multiple matters, so you need to be able to switch gears quickly and take on responsibility immediately.
We pay a competitive salary for small firms and are willing to be creative in structuring compensation to reward business development success.
In addition to salary, the firm contributes monthly to employees’ health insurance costs, provides a generous match to our 401K plan, pays for bar associations, and offers a business and professional development budget.
We share space in downtown DC with two like-minded small firms, creating a lively and collaborative vibe.
We are open to a hybrid work schedule.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org